I'm addicted to fried pickles, especially during pregnancy, but it becomes an expensive eating habit when you have to go out for dinner to get them! This recipe gets my seal of approval, creating crispy dills with lots of flavor.
8 oz. sour cream
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dip dry mix
1 jar Clausen sandwich pickles
1/2 c. buttermilk ranch dressing
1 c. flour
1/4 c. corn starch
1 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
1. Combine half the dry dip mix with the sour cream and chill until ready to serve. Mix the remaining packet with the panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish (I use a pie plate).
2. Heat 1 in. oil in a large saute pan over med-high heat to 360 degrees.
3. Save 3/4 c. of the pickle juice, then drain and pat dry the pickles. Cut them in half if they are the long slices.
4. Whisk pickle juice, dressing, egg, flour, and cornstarch together until smooth.
5. Dip pickles into batter (letting excess drip off), then coat in panko mixture and drop into hot oil. Fry pickles in batches until golden, 2-3 min, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
6. Serve with ranch dip.