Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This was one of the first meals I ever made for my husband. I found it in The Newlywed Cookbook by Robin Miller, and I couldn't believe how quick and easy it turned out to be. It's become a favorite in our household, even with our 4-year-old son. Recently, I replaced the canned pineapple with fresh pineapple I'd pureed in the food processor. Then, I added chunks of fresh pineapple at the end to warm them through before serving. I think it's great either way, but I'm going to try to use the fresh fruit from now on, if possible.

1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, diced into 1 inch cubes
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple in juice (or an equivalent amount of fresh, pureed pineapple)
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1/4 tsp black pepper
Fresh pineapple chunks, optional

1. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and saute until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink on the inside, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the crushed or pureed pineapple, Hoisin sauce, apricot preserves, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for about 7 minutes, or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Add the pineapple chunks, if desired, and stir gently to coat with the sauce and warm through. Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments: