Monday, October 28, 2013

Kimchi Pancake

I have been craving this and they no longer serve it at my favorite Korean restaurant in town.  Now that I know how easy it is, there's no need to leave home to get one!  It only takes a few ingredients, most of which I keep on hand (except for the kimchi).  This recipe is modified from one I found on allrecipes.

Ingredients:
1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped
1/2 cup reserved juice from kimchi (I used water to make up the remaining 1/2 c. since I didn't have enough   juice)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

For the dipping sauce:
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. rice vinegar
1/2 t. sesame oil (optional)


Directions:
1. Stir together the kimchi, kimchi juice, flour, eggs, and green onion in a bowl.
2. Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, pour into skillet, spreading as thin as possible.  (Note: I've always had it served as one large pancake, so that is how I made mine.  You may need to increase the cooking time.) Cook pancakes until set and lightly browned, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Season to taste with salt.
3. Whisk together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Serve with the pancakes.




No comments: