Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tomato Soup

When trying to come up for a quick and easy dinner, I saw I had some things I could work with to make tomato soup. I was really happy with how it came out -- so delicious and really hit the spot! My kids gobbled it down, along with some ham & cheese toasties. :) (This could also be frozen -- it makes quite a bit!)

8 tbsp (1/2 cup) butter, divided
6 tbsp flour
16 oz chicken broth (or 14.5 oz can)
46-oz can tomato juice
2 tsp dried basil
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup half & half or whipping cream

In large soup pot over med-high heat melt 6 tbsp of the butter. Stir in flour and let cook for about a minute. Whisk in the chicken broth, making sure it's not lumpy, then add the tomato juice and stir. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir in cream and add remaining 2 tbsp butter. Let cook until butter is melted.

No comments: