I tried a dish like this at a restaurant and I had to try and copy it! The results were nearly perfect and this is one of my new favorite dishes. The key is to use the Stove-Top Marinara (recipe is in the next entry).
1 c. flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
1/4 c. olive oil
Sliced fresh mozzarella (about 10 oz.)
Red pepper flakes
Stove-Top Marinara (see blog entry for recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 450. Slice eggplant into 1/4 in. thick rounds, season with salt and pepper. Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs into separate shallow dishes.
2. Bread the eggplant by dipping it first in flour, then eggs, the breadcrumbs.
3. Heat 1/4 c. olive oil in a large saute pan (I used an electric skillet) over med. high heat. Fry half of the eggplant slices until golden on both sides, about 4 minutes total, then transfer them to a cookie sheet. Continue until all eggplant are cooked.
4. Top each slice with a slice of fresh mozzarella and red pepper flakes. Bake until cheese melts, about 15 minutes.
5. To serve, put about 1/2 c. Stove-Top Marinara on a plate and top with the eggplant rounds. Serve with pasta topped with marinara.