Monday, September 20, 2010

Stove-Top Marinara

This spaghetti sauce is SO good! I don't know if I can ever go back to canned sauce! The best part is that I almost always have these ingredients on hand, so I can make it any time I want. I would also recommend using this for my Fried Eggplant Mozzarella.

1 c. diced onion
3 T. olive oil
2 T. minced garlic
2 cans (28 oz. each) whole tomatoes
1 1/2 T. sugar
2 t. dried basil leaves
1/4 t. red pepper flakes (more or less depending on the desired spiciness)
1/2 t. ground black pepper
Kosher salt to taste (I used quite a bit)

1. Saute onion in oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; saute briefly. Stir in tomatoes with their juice. Crush tomatoes with a potato masher and simmer sauce for 15 minutes.

2. Stir in sugar, basil, peppers, and season with salt. Simmer 15 minutes longer.

No comments: