One of the best things about summer is fresh vegetables from the garden. This uses two of my favorites-- basil and tomatoes-- in an outstanding sandwich.
2 T. olive oil
2 T. white wine vinegar
1/4 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. black pepper
6 slices fresh mozzarella
4 sliced Roma tomatoes (or 2 large tomatoes)
1/2 c. fresh basil, roughly torn
3 hoagie buns
1. Whisk first 4 ingredients together to make the dressing.
2. Preheat the broiler and lay hoagie buns (outside facing up) on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until tops are toasted.
3. Flip the buns over and spread the inside of the buns with the dressing, top bottom with mozzarella and top with Roma slices. Sprinkle tomatoes with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Broil tomato side up for about 2 minutes, or until cheese has slightly melted.
5. Add torn basil and close up the hoagie. Enjoy!