The flavor of this ice cream is incredible, although the consistency was a little grainy. Next time I think I'll use half and half or heavy cream in place of the milk.
3 1/2 c. 2% milk
3 large egg yolks
1 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. heavy cream
1 T. butter
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. flake salt
1. Place milk in a medium saucepan over med-high heat. Heat to 180 deg. or until tiny bubbles form around the edge of pan. Place egg yolks in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Gradually add half of hot milk to yolks, stirring constantly. Return yolk mixture to pan.
2. Combine sugar, cream, and butter in a large saucepan over med. heat; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar melts. Cook 3 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat; stir in sea salt. Gradually add caramel mixture to yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Return pan to low heat; cook until a thermometer registers 160 deg. Place pan in a large ice-filled bown until completely cooled, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour mixture into an ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
5. Scoop into dishes and sprinkle evenly with flake salt before serving.