Monday, December 19, 2011

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder

This cooler weather just gets me in the mood for soup - especially when my husband makes fresh ciabatta bread to go along with it! I love broccoli cheese soup, but this one has a few additions to it. It was delicious, and my kids loved helping me make it (one measured ingredients and one peeled potatoes). It even got a, "Wow, this is good!" comment from my husband at the table.

2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup carrot, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups chicken broth/stock
3 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes. Add chicken broth and potatoes; bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened. Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through. Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.

No comments: