I've never had ratatouille before, so I don't know how this version compares. This version, however, was INCREDIBLE! Everything is grilled outside, so you don't need to heat up the oven at all. The grilled tomatoes make such a fresh and delicious tomato sauce.
1 eggplant, halved lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
1 red onion, sliced into 1/2" thick rounds
1 small tomato, halved and seeded
1 zucchini, cut lengthwise
1 yellow squash, cut lengthwise
2 T. olive oil
Salt and black pepper
Goat Cheese Orzo (recipe below)
1 T. olive oil
2 T. fresh basil
2 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. minced lemon zest
1. Toss vegetables with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat until tender.
2. Chop all vegetables except tomato and transfer to a bowl.
3. Puree tomato and the rest of the sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth, then toss with vegetables in the bowl.
Goat Cheese Orzo:
4 oz. orzo pasta
1/2 c. milk
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook orzo according to pkg. directions; drain and set aside.
2. Whisk together milk and goat cheese in a saucepan over medium heat until combined. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until slightly thick, about 3 min. Stir in orzo.
3. Off heat, stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.