Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Creamy Hot Cocoa

When the weather turns cold, my family and I love hot cocoa. Nothing is better than some homemade, and this was super easy to make. I tripled the original recipe I found (as well as cut back on the sugar). The amount was perfect for a small crowd (supposed to serve 12).

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 pinches of salt
1 cup boiling water
10-1/2 cups milk
2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine the cocoa, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Heat the cup of water in the microwave until it starts to boil, then blend in with the cocoa mixture. Bring this to an easy boil while you stir; simmer and stir for two minutes (don't let it scorch!). Stir in the milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Add some cream or milk to cool down, or see my recipe for homemade flavored whipped cream!

No comments: