This recipe came from *my favorite* a Cuisine at Home book. It's not hard and oh, so yummy! I think it's best topped with homemade croutons, but store-bought would work as well :-)
1/2 c. chopped shallots
2 T. olive oil
1/4 c. chopped garlic
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/4 c. dry white wine
2 cans whole tomatoes in juice (28 oz. each)
2 c. chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1/4 c. fresh basil
3 T. sugar
2 t. balsamic vinegar
1 bag (5 oz.) baby spinach, chopped
Crumbled blue cheese
1. Sweat shallots in oil in a large pot over medium heat until soft, about 5 min. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute
2. Deglaze pot with wine, simmer until nearly evaporated, then add tomatoes, broth, and basil. Increase heat to med-high, bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to med-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Puree soup with a handheld blender, or in batches in a food processor, until smooth. Bring soup to a simmer.
4. Stir in sugar and vinegar. Just before serving, stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper.
5. Garnish each serving of soup with croutons and blue cheese.