Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bibimbap (Korean Rice Bowl)

I have to say that Korean food definitely ranks high among my favorite ethnic foods. I found these recipes in Cuisine at Home for making bibimbap in my home... I was elated! I tried them within a week of receiving the magazine and we all devoured the food. The boys ate theirs without the spicy sauce, and my husband said it was the best Korean food he'd ever eaten (a HUGE compliment considering how much he loves Korean food!). Be sure to read through this recipe, as well as those of the bulgogi and chili sauce. I prepped the ingredients and started marinating the beef early in the day, so when dinner time came I could cook everything very quickly. I hope you enjoy as much as I did!

2 t. toasted sesame oil
2 t. soy sauce
1 bag (6oz) baby spinach
4 t. minced garlic, divided
6 t. canola oil, divided
1 t. sesame seeds (I toasted mine first)
2 pkg. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (3.5 oz each)
3 med. carrots, cut into thin strips or julienned
1 med. zucchini, cut into thin strips or julienned
2 c. fresh mung bean sprouts (really cheap if you buy them at Saraga)
6 eggs
Bulgogi (see recipe)
Korean chili sauce (see recipe)
3 c. cooked rice, warmed

1. Combine sesame oil and soy sauce in a small bowl; set aside.

2. Saute spinach and 1 t. garlic in 1 t. canola oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until wilted, 3 minutes. Transfer spinach to a bowl and toss with 1 t. sesame-soy mixture and sesame seeds, set aside.

3. Heat 1 t. oil in same skillet over medium; add 1 t. garlic and shiitakes, and cook until mushrooms soften, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with 1 t. sesame-soy mixture; set aside. Repeat cooking and tossing with carrot and zucchini together, then the bean sprouts.

4. Add remaining 2 t. oil to same skillet. Fry eggs until whites are set but yolks are still soft.

5. Divide rice among bowls, then top with Korean chili sauce (if desired). Arrange the vegetables and bulgogi (if using) on top of the rice. Top each bowl with an egg and serve with Korean chili sauce.

1 comment:

Amanda C. said...

I tried making this for the first time tonight, although I've made bulgogi before. The boys gobbled it up, especially the beef! I should have cut the veggies ahead of time like you had, but once everything was ready, it came together quickly. Brian and I had a hard time NOT eating it. :) We didn't put the eggs on top this time, but I'll definitely try the next time I make it. Thanks for the great recipe! Now, I can't make the excuse that we have to go to Mama's when we're craving Korean food. :)