Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bulgogi (Korean "Barbecued" Beef)

This is my boys' favorite thing to order at the Korean restaurant in town, and I'm so happy to finally have a recipe! It could be served on its own, with stir-fried veggies, or on top of the bibimbap (see recipe). Just be sure to serve it with a side of rice!

3 T. EACH rice vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar
1 T. EACH fresh ginger and garlic (I used a half t. of powdered ginger instead of fresh)
1 T. toasted sesame oil
2 t. cornstarch
1 lb. thinly sliced beef (I purchased at Saraga, an Asian market in town. You could also purchase sirloin and slice your own VERY thin)
2 T. canola oil
Sesame seeds (I toasted first)

1. Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add steak and toss to coat; set aside 20 minutes, tossing often. (Note: I made mine early in the day and let it marinate for about 4 hours in the fridge)

2. Heat canola oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Remove steak from bowl and let excess marinade drip back into the bowl. Stir-fry steak in skillet in 2 or 3 batches, 2-3 minutes per batch, until all is browned. Transfer bulgogi to a large plate and garnish with sesame seeds.

1 comment:

Amanda C. said...

I just made this tonight, and it was so yummy! My whole family loved it. It has some slight differences from the bulgogi I made over New Year's (brown sugar instead of white, rice vinegar, no onions), but I think it was a bit easier to prepare. It was stickier, too, which I kind of liked. :)