Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chicken Tikka Masala

This is the best recipe I have found for this delicious Indian food. It's even better than a lot of restaurants. I have made changes to the recipe to fit my needs, and that is what I am posting. It actually recommends skewering the chicken and putting it on the grill, but I just make it in the skillet. It's a bit spicy, but it's actually one of Roman's favorite meals. Justin and I devour it, and it's even better as leftovers. Here is the recipe doubled:

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 cup yogurt
* 2 tablespoon lemon juice
* 4 teaspoons ground cumin
* 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* 4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
* 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
* 1 onion, chopped in half then sliced in 1/4 in. pieces

* 2 tablespoon butter
* 2 clove garlic, minced
* 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
* 4 teaspoons ground cumin
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1-2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
* 2 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 2 cup heavy cream
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I usually omit)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in chicken and onion, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat.
3. Lightly oil the skillet and cook chicken and onion until juices run clear.
4. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and 1-2 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken and onion, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with Basmati rice.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Wow, this is one of our new favorite dinners! It was SO GOOD! Even though I'm full, I'm craving more. :) When I made it, I seeded the jalapeno to make it less spicy for my kids. Lauren drank a lot of milk, but ate it up!